My not-so-local greengrocer had some huge, good looking cabbages when I stopped in the other day to buy more garlic. I bought some because my ‘kraut supply was getting low. That’s one head in that big bowl. I’ve already sprinkled the salt over it and added caraway. Recipes I’ve looked at suggest 3 tablespoons of pickling salt per 5 pounds of cabbage. That’s all you need to make sauerkraut – salt, cabbage, and time. Thirty days will do it, but you can let it go longer. It gets more sour the longer it ferments, refrigeration stops the pickling action. I’m using this assortment of parts to assemble a couple of half gallon mason jars that will be the fermenters. It can be done more simply but I had good luck with this method before, using parts that I converted to make work, but this set-up is made for the job. New this time are the glass hockey puck sized things that are intended to weigh down the cabbage to keep it submerged.I managed to cram all of that into these two jars. The glass weights are inside, atop the cabbage, and the airlocks are in place. Fermenting cabbage releases carbon dioxide so it has to be vented, but you don’t want any air in there carrying mold and other nasties.
Ollie is all about helping Mrs J with her sewing.He provides invaluable feedback on the kitteh beds she assembles. I think the one he is test driving now is shrouded for secrecy. The cat bed manufacturers are always on the look-out for new designs.Made some fried rice for dinner the other day. Those dumplings are from frozen and are pretty bad. I’ll drop a photo here in case I forget the brand name. Bad tasting, and the portions are so small! LOLHere’s another shelter kitteh. I’m told that 90% of these ginger kittehs are males but this one is a girl. Staff have named her Tina Turner – Mrs J says it was just Turner until they discovered on the operating table that the neutering procedure they had planned was inappropriate. Here is one of those beef roasts that was on sale last month. I dry brined this one and vac sealed it, it spent the month in the fridge. Yesterday I rinsed it off and gave it a dry rub prior to placing it into the smoker.Pastrami! I left it in the smoker for 8 hours, then brought it into the house, covered it with foil, and placed it into a 200 degree oven where it stayed all night. Here it is this morning, it started to come apart when I transferred it into this hotel pan. I covered it with foil and it’ll spend time back in the fridge to firm up for slicing.This is Flip, a 10 month old male. Both Flip and Tina Turner are up on their shots and are ready to go home.
No, it’s not a condiment selection tool, it’s a handy dandy recipe app that can do a lot more than I need it to (for now, anyway) but I really like the way it can scrape the ingredients and directions for a recipe off a a cluttered page and just present you with the essential information. It pretty much gives you what you see on a lot of sites when you click on the “print this recipe” button.
Paprika has its own web browser that works much like Chrome or Firefox. If you know the url of a particular site you can enter that into the address bar or just enter search terms like I did in the screenshot above. Once you have the recipe page up you click on the “save recipe” button on the bottom right and the app does it’s magic. It will chug through a downloading recipe notification and then bring you to the next screen:It’s an edit screen, by default it puts all recipes into “uncategorized” but you can put them wherever you like by clicking the “change” button. The first time you click that you will get pretty much an empty screen but click the big plus sign (+) and you can start your own system.I’ve just begun compiling a recipe database on this thing, you may recognize some of the recipes. Anyway, click or tap on a recipe and it takes you to that stripped down iteration:
It’s especially handy when rendered in this two column format, the directions column scrolls independently of the ingredients so you don’t have to go back to see just how much milk they are talking about when the directions tell you to go ahead and add it now.
It has more functionality that this brief sketch shows, it will compile a grocery list and it’s a meal planner.
Amazon tempted me with one of their lightning deals on some silicone muffin trays. I’m pretty easy. These corn muffins from smittenkitchen looked like a good way to test drive them.The method was interesting, 1/2 cup of cornmeal was simmered in the milk until it started to look like porridge, then cooled slightly in a bowl in which the rest of the ingredients were added in their turn. The cup of sour cream was a nice touch.Two eggs were the last of the wet ingredients added before the dry mixture was folded in.The resulting batter was pretty stiff. The cookie dough scoop worked great in portioning between the dozen cups. It wasn’t the perfect size so I did have to top off the cups by eye.I’m not sure how long these were in because I forgot to set a timer. These passed the toothpick test.Mmm… red beans cooked with a smoked ham hock – a perfect way to enjoy these perfect corn muffins.