Daily Archives: August 9, 2009
After a trip to the farmer’s market it’s time to make a nice, fresh pasta sauce for Sunday dinner. I’m using fresh pasta, plain, not flavored pasta, since there are so many flavors in the sauce. I prefer linguine to spaghetti or fettuccine, but whatever works best for you is perfect.
Garden Fresh Pasta Sauce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed garlic (start with one, add more as desired)
- 4-6 medium to large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn or chopped – more as desired
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves (I like a cute little leaf called ‘pizza oregano’), torn or chopped – more as desired
- 1 carrot, finely shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes if you desire some heat
saucepan & pasta serving bowl
Heat oil in saucepan, add onions and garlic; saute on medium heat until onions are transluscent (don’t carmelize onions or scortch garlic). Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes, starting at medium heat and lowering to simmer when it gently bubbles. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain. Add pasta and sauce to pasta bowl and serve with grated parmesan, steamed zucchini and a nice crusty loaf of bread. I know it’s popular to serve bread with dipping oil, but I still prefer garlic butter.
Serves 4 generously.