The kitchen was kind of bare yesterday, so I threw together what I had into a soup for lunches this week. The guys thought it smelled really good, so I told them I’d post a recipe for it. It’s nothing amazing, just a simple, quick, spicy soup for a very, very cold day.
Italian Tomato Soup
- 1 lb ground beef (can substitute stew meat, etc)
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced carrots (about 3 carrots)
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 2 tsp dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup dried pasta, cooked al dente and drained*
- Parmesan cheese, grated for garnish
Large saucepan or dutch oven
Brown ground beef in skillet, add garlic and onion and cook additional 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, vegetables, spices and water. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly, reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes. Add pasta and parmesan before serving.
* I use the tiniest pasta I can find – tiny shells, ditalini, etc. Just found Barilla has come out with a whole ‘mini’ line. So I stocked up on mini farfalle and mini spirals. Small pasta doesn’t get mushy as fast as regular pasta in soups.