More in our Prepping for July 4th series. A family favorite is cucumber salads. I like to find new flavors to try and shake things up. Sometimes they’re successful – the Chipolte Lime Cucumber Salad from last fall’s bridal shower was a complete fluke, based on unexpected ingredients in my frig, that everyone loved.
This cucumber salad is based on one from a Greek restaurant:
- 2 English cucumbers, sliced
- 2 mild red chilies, sliced
- 1 tsp dried mint, crushed (or 2 oz fresh)
- 4 oz dates or figs, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 to 4 tsp sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
English cucumbers come wrapped and don’t need to be peeled (no wax on the skins). Mix vinegar with sugar and toss with remaining ingredients, salt & pepper to taste.