Italian Potato Salad
- 2 lbs of small red potatoes, scrubbed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp fresh snipped rosemary
- 2 tbsp fresh snipped basil
- 1/2 tsp crushed dried oregano (or 2 tsp fresh)
- 2 tsp stone ground mustard*
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 24 to 28 oz fire roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 oz shaved Parmesan
Large saucepan, baking sheet, large serving bowl
In saucepan, cover potatoes with water, add salt and bring to a bowl. Reduce heat to low boil and simmer until potatoes are just fork-tender. You don’t want them to be soft, as for mashing, you want them to still hold their shape.
Mix together vinegar, garlic and spices. Drain potatoes and spread over a baking sheet in one layer, pour 1/2 of vinegar mixture over them and let cool completely.
Add mustard and oil to remaining vinegar mixture. Add sliced peppers to potatoes, stir and then transfer to serving bowl. Toss with remaining vinegar mixture, salt and pepper to taste and Parmesan.
*I have an aversion to Dijon mustard, but if it a favorite of yours, you can easily use it in this recipe.