Here are a couple of different style salads to brighten any holiday picnic or bbq you might have planned this coming weekend.
- 1 cup ripe golden apple
- 1 cup cantaloupe/ honey dew melon
- 1 cup grapefruits segments, cubed
- 1 cup small cucumber, cubed
- 1 cup ripe paw-paw, cubed
- 1 cup guavas, cubed
- 1 cup ripe mangoes, cubed
- 1 cup firm ripecarambolas, sliced
- ¼ cup sliced onion
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup honey
- Lettuce leaves
Mix together fruits and vegetables, tossing well. Mix white wine and honey in a small bowl. Stir well and pour over vegetable and fruits. Toss and chill. Make a doily on a large platter with lettuce leaves, add chilled salad to the platter and serve.
Caribbean Orange-Mango Coleslaw
- 8 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 large mangoes, peeled, pitted and diced
- ½ medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- cilantro leaves for garnish
Combine cabbage, mangoes, bell peppers, and green onions in large bowl; stir gently to mix.
Add Orange-Mango Dressing; toss gently to coat. Garnish with cilantro. Chill and serve, or store in refrigerator up to 1 day.
- ½ mango, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 6 ounces plain nonfat yogurt
- ¼ cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ to 1 jalapeño pepper,* stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger
Place mango in food processor; process until smooth. Add remaining ingredients; process until smooth.