Here’s a truly western version of macaroni and cheese. A version like this was served at the Colorado Governor’s Inaugural Dinner last year – although I’m sure it had only premium ingredients.
I used canned chilies, pickled jalapeno (my fave anyway) and a tomatillo salsa. For real Green Chili, try IndiLibs, it sounds amazing.
Green Chili Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 ounces dry elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup green salsa verde (tomatillo salsa)
- 4 ounce can mild chopped green chile peppers
- 1 tbsp (or more) finely chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, about 2 cups
- 4 oz hot pepper Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
2 qt baking dish, oiled and saucepan
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the 4 tablespoons of butter. Stir in flour until well blended and bubbly. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in salsa, chile peppers, and 6 oz of cheddar and all of the Jack cheese. Cook, stirring, until cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper. Combine with the drained macaroni; spoon into the prepared baking dish. Spread remaining cheddar cheese over the top of the baking dish.
Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees until cheese bubbly and top is lightly browned.