I’ve had a few grape vines for years but I never did much with them, never sprayed or fertilized or anything much aside from pruning them back now and again before they went completely feral on me. The number of actual ripe grapes they have yielded to me could be carried in two cupped hands. With the drought this summer I had no notion that this year would prove any different. I wasn’t expecting this:I picked and poked around under the leaves for more for a good while, eating as I went. The more I looked the more I uncovered and soon I had a milk crate better than half full. I had no idea what to do with them all, I knew we would never eat enough of them to stay ahead of the fruit flies. Mrs J expressed amazement when she got back from town and mentioned jelly.
I gave this recipe a go, running the grapes through my Breville juicer. After straining the juice through cheesecloth to remove what solids I could I set the juice to boiling with a no or low sugar pectin product since I went with half cane sugar and half Splenda. I roughly doubled this recipe, ending with 6 pints of jelly. The green table grapes won’t make as pretty a jelly as purple grapes, nor will it be as flavorful, but it is perfectly serviceable.