Originally posted April 2011.
I’ve always liked stuffed peppers, they’re a bit of work, but pretty foolproof. This is a nice twist on an old favorite:
Stuffed Red Bell Peppers
- 4 large red bell peppers (or you can use green)
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage (substitute fresh mushrooms for a veggie version)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Cut off the top from the peppers (about the top 1/4 inch), remove seeds and membranes. Add peppers to boiling water, remove from heat and let soak 5 minutes. Remove stem and then chop pepper tops. Brown beef with chopped peppers and onions in skillet. Remove whole peppers from water and turn upside down on a paper towel to dry. Add tomatoes, spices, rice and water to hamburger mixture, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover until rice is tender (about 15 minutes) Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and fill whole peppers. Place in a lightly oiled 8×8 baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees until cheese if bubbly and golden.