I’ve been playing with the different uses of potato starch. It works as a great alternative to corn starch when stir-frying and makes the silkiest gravies. I decided to give it a try with my Oven Fried Chicken (original recipe here with complete dinner menu) and it turned out amazing. The potato starch seals the chicken, keeping it incredibly moist. Combined with the rice chex cereal, it creates a super crispy crust. It’s become a favorite here that I’ve been making about once a week. And bonus, it’s gluten free!
Extra Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- 2 bone-in, skin on chicken breasts
- 2 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 2 chicken legs (or two additional thighs)
- 2 eggs, beaten with 2 to 3 tbsp water
- 2 cups crushed rice chex cereal
- 1-1/2 cups potato starch
- 1 tsp each: garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, dried rosemary, dried sage, paprika
- 1/2 tsp each: salt, pepper,
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (opt)
Crush all spices together (either by hand, in a mill or with a mortar and pestle) and mix well with potato starch and cereal on the plate.
Add egg and water into bowl and beat well.
Bath chicken in egg and then dredge into cereal mixture, pressing the mixture into the chicken, turning and coating both sides evenly. Move directly to a foil or parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake at 400 degree F, turning pan halfway through cooking, until internal temp is 165 degrees, about 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes a great dinner with Garlic Mashed potatoes (recipe here) and buttered green beans.