Creole Vegetables with Black Beans and Rice
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- 1 -15 oz can no salt black beans (drained and rinsed)
- lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 green onions, chopped (including greens)
- 1/2 each: green, red and orange pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1-14 oz can no salt diced tomatoes
- salt to taste
Cook rice according to package directions, keep warm.
Add beans and a dash of lime juice and salt to saucepan and heat through.
In a skillet, heat olive oil, add onions and saute until softened, add peppers and celery, saute for 2-3 minutes. Add carrots, cook additional 2-3 minutes and add tomatoes. Add a tablespoon of Creole seasoning (recipe below) and mix in. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer until carrots are tender. Salt to taste and add more seasoning as needed.
Place rice, beans and tomato mixture in separate bowls and let everyone mix to their own taste. Put remaining Creole Seasoning on the table for garnish.
- 2 tsp paprika (go for the good stuff)
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on the heat you like)
Mix all together and grind with a mortar and pestle or run through a spice grinder. Add to tomato mixture.
*you can use dried beans, cooked and drained