Category Archives: Nature

Critter Cam – Bearded Turkeys

A distinguishing feature of both domesticated and wild turkeys is the black fibrous hairs that hang down from the chest away from the body plumage. Biologists and hunters call those hairs beards. A turkey’s beard can be long enough to touch the ground. Beards grow on all male turkeys or gobblers and grow on some hens.

We’ve been seeing the same turkey family in ths spot all summer long, and have watched the chicks grow to size and fill out.  Today is the first time I remember seeing Toms.


Random Wildlife – Eastern (Common) Gartersnake

Can I Wear This To High Tea?

I question JeffreyW’s commitment to his hummingbirds…he’s never worn a hummingbird hat (to my knowledge). 😉

Critter Cam

A decent 6 pointer.  He’s been showing up at the back pod to eat the corn Mrs J leaves down there every day. Sometimes the ducks leave a little.

These look to be all Wood Ducks, we’ve seen Teal passing through, too.

And a sign of the changing climate, perhaps, an Armadillo makes an appearance for the first time ever at this spot.  They’ve been seen in the area more and more often for quite a while now.  This is our first glimpse of a live one – until now every one we have seen had been roadkill.

Our First Egg!

Every morning I check the nesting box, unsure the ducks even know how to use it. There is actually a fake egg in there- the guy who sold me the coop said it was an “encouragement” egg. I tried not to roll my eyes. But, this morning when I opened up the hatch, I was surprised to see another egg there.

I can’t tell you whose egg it is – both Blue Swedish and Rouens have bluish eggs. But good to see someone in this house is earning their keep.

Bonus kitteh:

Zander has been on squirrel patrol all week, here he is scolding the squirrel for daring to come down the tree:


St Francis sent a crew down to Texas with pet food and bedding to help out with the Harvey effort.  They brought back some cats and dogs to help make space for the influx the shelters down there were experiencing.  These were animals that were in the shelters pre-Harvey.  This is one of those – he has since been adopted out to a family with two boys who seem thrilled to have him.Sliders-to-be!  I’ve had the best luck by starting these on a bed of thin sliced onions.  A mandoline is perfect for this.  I add a wee splash of olive oil to the onion pile before laying the on the patty.  Cook on med-low until the onion browns a little then flip it over.  Give it a minute then add cheese and a pickle slice or two.

The swallowtail caterpillars are busy on the parsley.  I framed this shot to get the most caterpillars I could in it, there were a few more on the plant.  I don’t begrudge the loss of the parsley because I like the butterflies they turn into.Random chicken noodle soup.  I add a little sesame oil and a dash of Chinese five spice to give it a little Asian flavor.  I love love love to dip the grilled cheese into the broth – Heaven!Random shelter kitteh – this is not one of the Harvey rescues – they were still in quarantine due to a treatable but highly contagious skin condition.  This handsome boy is named Netsi, he was born in June and is available, hint hint.This is Riley, a girl born in May.  Like Netsi, she is waiting for a human to call her own.Random ribeye.  Classic steak and potato dinner with a side of roasted sprouts.  The steak was cooked sous vide and finished in a smoking hot cast iron pan.

Critter Cam

Good morning!

Unhand me, you monster!

Paging Indiana Jones

This happened in my old hood. We are all very excited here.

From the Denver Post:

An operator was scooping dirt Aug. 25 when an on-site geotechnical engineer — someone who reviews soil conditions — told him to stop. The engineer noticed that there was something inconsistent with the surrounding claystone and sand. Brushing off the dirt and cleaning the area with water, the crews knew what they were seeing wasn’t normal.

But Saunders Construction doesn’t have an action plan in place for when crews stumble across a 66-million-year-old fossil. The crews quarantined the area, which will eventually be a weight room at the upcoming Fire and Police Substation at East 132nd Avenue and Quebec Street, and made sure construction equipment stayed clear, Pollick said. A biologist contracted by the city of Thornton recommended a local paleontologist, who stopped by Sunday to confirm that they were looking at dinosaur bones.


So far, both brow horns, part of the skull that surrounds the brain, parts of the snout, parts of the frill (the shield behind its head), the lower jaw beak, parts of the neck, vertebrae and lots of ribs have been found, Sertich said. While talking on the phone, more of the frill was uncovered.

Read more here…

They are moving the bones today, so more excitement and lots of news crews.

More videos here and once they post videos of the move today I’ll post those.

Get me my hat and my whip….

(BTW, NEVER google whip and hat without safe setting on :-D)


Seen on the Internets