The chicken marinade was black bean/garlic sauce, Thai sweet chili sauce, Chinese cooking wine, mushroom soy, and sweet soy sauce plus a lot of minced ginger and fresh garlic.The veggies steamed concurrently with the chicken cooking in the wok and everything was timed to be ready when the rice was done. And it happened just that way! I dumped the veggies into the chicken to coat with the sauce. Yay!
Creole Vegetables with Black Beans and Rice
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- 1 -15 oz can no salt black beans (drained and rinsed)
- lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 green onions, chopped (including greens)
- 1/2 each: green, red and orange pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1-14 oz can no salt diced tomatoes
- salt to taste
This was a cross between biscuits and gravy and chicken pot pie. I went with this recipe for the biscuits. I’ve made it before but this time I used an 8×8 inch glass pan. I should have stayed with my larger hotel pan because the biscuits took way longer to bake than the recipe indicated. After I took the pic I tried to plate some biscuits for the dinner but they were not yet done, I had to give them 10 more minutes past the 25 I had set the timer for and they were still not quite right.
The chicken was leftover from the “Winner, Winner..” post the other day, and the gravy was just a simple white sauce with powdered mustard, a few ounces of Parmesan, plus the remaining chicken gravy. I steamed some more veggies to add to it. I was hungry when I put the biscuits into the oven and ravenous by the time they were finally done.
I grabbed a big chicken at the store the other day, I was thinking beer-butt roasted fryer chicken for Sunday dinner but when I went to put it into the fridge I saw the “roasting chicken” right there on the wrapper. No problem! A quick search led me to this recipe. I had some fresh rosemary, bought for the porchetta last week.A quick slather and we were ready for the oven. I ran it at 400° on the convection roast setting. I mixed the soft butter with several cloves of roasted garlic rather than fresh garlic. I did add fresh garlic to the cavity, and several cloves went under the bird along with the onions, celery, and carrots.I more or less destroyed the breast quarter, Mrs J got the leg and thigh. The juices strained from the bottom of the pan made a killer gravy. A baked potato and steamed veggies rounded out the meal.
I say “skillet” corned beef and cabbage but the only things that actually cooks in the pan are the bacon, cabbage and onion. The corned beef was boiled till tender then removed from the pot. I set it aside and boiled the potatoes and carrots in the same water. Cook to desired state and set them aside with the beef. Cube the beef when cool, and chop the carrots and potatoes.Cook a few slices of bacon in a big skillet, I used my wok. Remove the bacon, leave the grease, and add a few tablespoons of butter. Slice a big sweet onion, chop your cabbage, and add them to the pan, toss to coat with the fats.Add back the bacon and continue cooking the veggies until they brown a bit and get tender. I was able to do the chef’s toss to this point but after I added the cooked carrots, potatoes, and corned beef it got too heavy for that.Cover and continue over low heat long enough to rewarm the late additions, correct the seasoning, and serve. I like a touch of red pepper flake added to the dish, YMMV. Variations on the dish might include bell peppers.
Well, it’s a semi-sorta biscuit crust pot pie. Biscuit crust pot pies are a thing, but whenever I’ve made them (usually with store bought pop biscuit dough) the tops of the biscuits browned nicely but the bottoms were always nearly raw. This fixes that. I found a nice pan biscuit recipe [here] that looked really good.Lacking any buttermilk, I went the ersatz route with a tablespoon of white vinegar in regular whole milk. I wasn’t sure that the butter in the pan bottom would incorporate well but it worked fine.My pan was 10×12 inches rather than the 8×8. I figured that for what I was doing there wouldn’t be any problem with a tad thinner biscuit. It did finish quicker, mine took 15 minutes at 425.I wish I had thought to use parchment paper in the bottom. I made a few half-hearted tries at winkling the whole thing out but ended up taking it out in pieces……and placing them atop the chicken and veggie filling that had been cooking on a different shelf in an identical pan. I gave the top a brushing of melted butter and popped it back into the oven for a bit.The pan biscuits were really good, I do think that for this application the recipe should have been reduced by a third, or the amount of filling increased.
Well, I have the gear so here I go with some chicken. I generally like the recipes and methods developed by the folks over at Serious Eats so I let them guide my go at it. I did leg quarters but I figured the technique would be the same.The table says 1-4 hours at 165 degrees yields tender chicken, this batch went about 3-1/2 hours. I think my next batch will spend much longer, 6-8 hours. The chicken was done, certainly, but not “pull the leg bone right on out” done I hoped for. I reduced the gelatin and juices from the chilled bag with white wine with good results.I have to give a shout out to those potatoes, I par boiled them for a couple of minutes then finished them (after they cooled and were drained on a towel) in duck fat. I added some chopped fresh rosemary to them for an added kick.
The sprouts and carrots were zapped for about three minutes, covered, in the microwave and then sauteed in oil with a balsamic glaze added at the end.