For some reason, my flock of hummers has a favorite feeder. The feeders are identical, and I have moved them around so I don’t think it’s a particular location. I’ve filled them all from the same batch of nectar so it isn’t taste. The feeder you see them swarming in the video is the one they’ve chosen, I’ve filled it three times today while the other four are still on the first fill.
: whoops, I have my phone set to take max resolution video and it’s taking a long time to load, sorry ’bout that!
Looks like an entire holiday meal has gone by and I haven’t mentioned it here. Just this one photo:I roasted a small chunk of lamb (~3lbs) after an overnight marinade in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and rosemary. A couple of tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary were rubbed over it and it cooked at 350 for just over an hour, to an internal temp of ~150. It sat out with a loose tent of foil as it rested and I did my last minute flurry of table setting. There was enough well done to satisfy Mrs J and the rest was rare enough to suit me.
I cooked some white potatoes with a diced parsnip in cream and butter and a couple of cloves of garlic. They were great. The gravy was made from turkey necks and chicken giblets with some home made chicken stock and with lamb drippings stirred in. Also on the plate are some sprouts roasted with garlic and olive oil. Serious good veggies even if you don’t care for steamed or boiled sprouts – these are just not the same thing. Let them brown a bit, you will love them.
The little bowl in the background is a dipping sauce for the lamb, and it was good on the sprouts too. I reduced the juice of half a lemon and a quarter cup of white wine with some minced onion and garlic and chopped fresh rosemary, then stirred in a stick of cold butter a pat at a time. A final touch was a good squirt of Dijon mustard. Yummy
The old camera has been failing intermittently for a while now. It would fail to turn on, or to record pictures, or be working fine then quit for no reason we could determine. We tried new batteries, new memory cards, and basic resets but we decided we just could no longer rely on it. I ordered another camera, from a different maker, and set it out. It seems to be doing OK, it was initially set to be a tad too sensitive and we were getting some empty frames caused by wind or some such. The documentation and manual that came with this one are sorely lacking but I managed to find the adjustment method and dialed the default setting back from high to medium and it seems to be doing fine.
We didn’t turn it off yesterday all day so it captured a series of pictures of mostly birds at the feeder. A cool and mostly dreary day brightened some with some sun in the afternoon. Here are a few captures from the day’s take: