A friend called and wanted to know if I had any ideas for finger food to take to a party. There were specific criteria, couldn’t be hot, needed to be simple and she would prefer it be something dazzling.
The first thought that came to mind was Tortilla Pinwheels. The standard recipe is this:
- 1 (8 ounce) package whipped cream cheese
- 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup black olives, chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped ham slices
You spread the ingredients on the tortillas, roll them up and slice them into 1 inch pinwheels. Couldn’t get much easier.
So how do we add some dazzle? Flavored tortillas.
Here are some ideas I had:
Jalapeño & Cilantro Tortillas and Black Bean Tortillas
- Cream Cheese
- Pickled jalapenos
- Sliced green chilies
- Black olives
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Roasted Red Pepper Tortillas and Sun-dried Tomato & Basil Tortillas
- Cream cheese mixed with crushed roasted garlic
- Grated parmesan
Plain Tortillas and Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Cream cheese
- All-fruit style strawberry preserves
- Crushed red pepper flakes
The list is endless, limited only by your creativity.
BTW, she went with little spinach bread cups. Waiting to hear how they turned out. But I know what I’m going to make for my next get together.