My 30 day timer let me know it was time to check the sauerkraut I had working on the counter top. Much success! I celebrated the occasion by baking a loaf of rye bread and thawing a baggie of pastrami for reubens. I’ve taken to putting out a small bowl of thousand island as a dip rather than trying to pour it directly on the sammich. I think that works best but YMMV.
Here’s a nice reuben sammich on rye that was made in our bread machine. It’s a fairly simple recipe that works very well every time for us. I experimented a little by adding a tablespoon of molasses to this batch. I can’t say I noticed much of a difference.
I was hoping this pork shoulder would really take on a lot of the flavor of this mojo marinade when I vacuum sealed it in this pleated bag. Alas, the bag was a poor choice as it turned out.It looked good here, but it was just getting started. I set the temp at 175 and let it run all night. Alas, the bag developed a leak, I fault the high temp and the fact that the pleated bag meant that the sealer had to heat through 4 layers for a seal. I don’t know if a regular bag will hold but I am unlikely to test it at that temperature again. Maybe 160-165.At any rate the internal temp made it only to 165 and needed a boost if I was going to be able to pull it apart. I gave it a rub with my generic mixture and put it into a 400 oven for an hour and some.That worked very well, I didn’t wait for it to cool enough for a thorough pulling, instead chopping the big pieces up in a different pan with that heavy spatula/scraper.While the shoulder was in the oven these buns were prepared for baking and they went into the already hot oven as the meat was being choppedAll in all, the sous vide fiasco was disappointing but the shoulder wasn’t totally ruined. I was hoping to use the pork in a mostly authentic Cuban sammich. I’ve been told that the mojo pork is key for those. Sad!