I know this sounds like a crazy recipe, but the Garlic, Garlic Chicken is a keeper. The garlic roasts to a nice, nutty, sweet flavor, perfect with a slice of bread.
The salad works because each pepper has a different flavor. I didn’t want to do much to overwhelm that, but you can add sliced onion if it appeals to you.
Get a really good Artisan bread and you’ve got a dinner that takes less than 20 minutes to prep.
On the board tonight:
- Garlic, Garlic Chicken
- Loaf of a good crusty Artisan bread
- Sliced Pepper Salad
- Sliced apples with caramel dip
Garlic, Garlic Chicken
- 5 lb roasting chicken
- 1/2 cup of wine*
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth,
- salt & pepper
- 40 cloves of garlic (unpeeled).
Wash and dry the chicken, remove any giblets. Add all ingredients into a roasting bag and roast for about an hour (follow cooking bag instructions, usually about 350 degrees, use a meat thermometer to check chicken temp). Remove chicken to a platter and place garlic and sauce in a serving bowl. The garlic can be squeezed out of the skins at the table onto the fresh bread. Alternately, you can take the broth, reduce it and then add the peeled garlic into that. It makes a very nutty, garlic-y kind of gravy.
*I substituted 1/4 cup of a good whisky this last time with good results (I upped the broth to 3/4 cup).
Sliced Pepper Salad
- 1 each: red, yellow, orange & green pepper, washed & sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup vinaigrette dressing
- 1 head bib lettuce, washed, dried & torn
Toss peppers and vinaigrette dressing and let marinate 30 minutes. Serve on a bed of bibb lettuce.
- 5lb Roasting Chicken
- 40 Cloves of Garlic (about 4 bulbs)
- 1 loaf Artisan Bread
- 1 each: Red, Yellow, Orange, Green peppers
- 4 oz vinaigrette dressing
- 1 head bibb lettuce
- Caramel dip
- 4 apples
Also: chicken broth, wine, salt, pepper